Canada CRE News In Your Inbox.

Sign up for Connect emails to stay informed with CRE stories that are 150 words or less.

Sub Markets

Property Sectors


Quebec  + Industrial  | 
Bank of Montreal is helping Blackstone refinance a 109-property industrial portfolio, according to reports.

BMO Helping Blackstone Refinance 109-Property Portfolio: Reports

Bank of Montreal is helping Blackstone refinance a 109-property industrial portfolio in the U.S., according to multiple reports.

BMO is among a group of lenders seeking to refinance the U.S.-based investment giant’s mortgage on the portfolio, which encompasses about 8.5 million square feet. The deal, worth an estimated US$1 billion is considered close to being done, according to the reports.

Citi Real Estate is leading the lending team, which includes Barclays Capital Real Estate, German American Capital and Wells Fargo. Blackstone acquired the portfolio in 2019.

The reports of the refinancing effort come as Blackstone continues to show strong appetite for industrial assets. Digital Realty has formed a joint-venture with Blackstone to build four hyperscale data centre campuses in key global areas, such as Frankfurt, Paris, and northern Virginia. The developments have an estimated cost of about US$7 billion.

Blackstone-affiliated funds specializing in infrastructure, real estate and tactical opportunities will invest US$700 million in the project for an 80% ownership stake, while Digital Realty will retain the remaining 20% interest.

— With files from Joe Palmisano


Inside The Story

BlackstoneBank of Montreal

About Monte Stewart

Monte Stewart serves as Content Director - Canada for Connect Commercial Real Estate. Based in Vancouver, British Columbia, Monte provides daily news coverage of major Canadian commercial real estate markets, including Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal and Calgary. He has written about the real estate sector for various media outlets and Avison Young since the early 2000s. In addition, he has covered sports, general news and business for several leading wire services and publications, including The Canadian Press, The Associated Press, The Calgary Herald, The Globe and Mail, Research Money, The Daily Oil Bulletin, Natural Gas World and The Toronto Star. Monte is active in his community as a youth basketball coach and raises funds for such charitable causes as Movember.

  • ◦Sale/Acquisition
  • ◦Development
  • ◦Financing
New call-to-action
New call-to-action